As Jews, we believe that all people are created b'tzelem elohim — in the image of God — and that every person is entitled to be treated with dignity and respect no matter what we look like or where we come from. We cannot and will not tolerate anyone – especially elected officials – using antisemitism to generate fear and division. Since he assumed office in 2017, we have watched Rep. Matt Gaetz stoke hatred to expand his own wealth and power.
There are too many examples of Rep. Gaetz using antisemitism to fuel fear and division to list them all. Here are just a few:
- In January 2018, Gaetz invited a Holocaust denier and white nationalist fundraiser to Trump’s State of the Union Address.
In October 2018, Gaetz posted a viral video on Twitter promoting an antisemitic conspiracy theory about Jews bringing immigrants into the United States. Just 10 days later, after he doubled-down on the claims on television and other media, that same conspiracy theory inspired the Tree of Life shooter to commit the deadliest massacre of Jewish people in U.S. history.
- In April 2019, Gaetz hired Darren Beattie, a far-right academic, who had been fired by the White House for his ties to white nationalists.
- In the summer of 2020, Gaetz endorsed Republican congressional candidate Marjorie Taylor Greene – a vocal supporter of the antisemitic QAnon conspiracy theory, who also believes Muslims should not be allowed to hold public office
- In August 2020, Gaetz endorsed far-right extremist Laura Loomer, a Republican congressional candidate in Florida. Loomer is a “proud Islamophobe” who has claimed “Jews do control the banks and the media.”
As Jews, we know how dangerous this is. Our people have survived genocide and fascism, deportation, and slavery — which means resistance and survival are our birthright. That is why we won’t stand by as the right puts Jews and our neighbors in extreme danger. In Florida, we are joining together with Jews and neighbors across racial differences to condemn Rep. Gaetz for promoting white nationalism, and to demand that he:
- Revoke his endorsement of antisemitic candidates Marjorie Taylor-Greene and Laura Loomer and condemn their rhetoric and policies.
- Stop spreading antisemitic conspiracy theories that put us in danger and have led to the murder of Jews.
- Apologize for hiring Darren Beattie – Rep. Gaetz’ former speech writer with ties to white nationalists – and condemn his praise of neo-Nazi activity and support for extremists
We are rising up in Florida and beyond to build a country that is truly for all of us. An important step is holding leaders like Representative Gaetz accountable for their antisemitic and divisive action. Will you add your voice with ours?