Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Remote (commuting proximity to NYC, LA, DC, or Bay Area preferred)
Classification: Full-time (40 hours per week), Exempt
Salary Range: $140,000 - $155,000 FTE
About Bend the Arc
Bend the Arc is building a multiracial, multiethnic, intergenerational movement of Jews and allies all across the country who are rising up to build an American future free from white supremacy, antisemitism, and racism. We’re investing in systems that keep our communities safe and divesting from systems that uphold white supremacy. We organize, advocate, tell stories, and develop the leaders we need to build the multiracial democracy that’s been promised in America but never achieved. And we’re fighting for the joyful future we deserve: one where Black liberation is realized and where all of us - within and beyond our Jewish family - are safe and thriving.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC, the first and only Jewish PAC to advocate exclusively for progressive policies in the U.S.; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm.
Headquartered in New York City, we have remote staff nationwide with clusters in Los Angeles and Washington DC, with a network of staffed chapters, volunteer-led local groups, and affiliates organizing nationwide.
About the Position
Are you excited about an opportunity to build pro-Black, pro-Jewish, anti-racist culture and systems? Are you a seasoned senior leader and a systems thinker? Do you believe that investing in employee well-being, wholeness, and growth leads to a more effective and values-aligned organization? As Bend the Arc’s Chief People and Operations Officer (CPOO), you will lead our work of becoming a pro-Black organization and developing effective operations and systems that enable staff to thrive.
In this new executive-level role, the CPOO will lead the implementation and integration of our internal race equity transformation goals and help create an internal culture at Bend the Arc that aligns with our vision. The CPOO will be committed to Bend the Arc’s mission, understand our analysis and political strategy, and help ensure they are clear and present in all aspects of our work. The CPOO will also lead our strategy to retain current and recruit new staff who are dedicated, aligned with our vision and strategy, and are set up to bring their most effective and inspired selves to work. Finally, the CPOO will help to systematize, modernize, and equitize all organizational operations and ensure rigor and oversight of Bend the Arc’s financial systems.
We are looking for an exceptional organizational leader and manager of teams and people, who can model what it looks like to manage our people to do their best work. The CPOO will report to the Chief Executive Officer and will lead the People and Operations Team, which includes our HR, Operations, and Finance departments. The CPOO will supervise the Controller (or Director of Finance), Operations Manager, the Learning and Development Manager, and will have the opportunity to hire an additional direct report on the HR team.
- Steward staff leadership in developing organizational strategies and processes in service to achieving Bend the Arc’s goals.
- Serve as member of senior leadership team(s), which are responsible for management and leadership responsibilities for Bend the Arc as a whole
- Develop and manage organization-wide processes including goal-setting and budget planning
- Make high level decisions and manage process around staffing patterns, goals, strategy, recruitment, and planning
- Lead the implementation and integration of internal race equity transformation goals
- Support the People and Operations Team to continue developing and implementing race equity analysis and practice into their work
- Manage and support the HR and Operations departments in the evaluation and development of pro-Black organizational policies and practices, especially regarding developing a compensation and promotions philosophy; continuing to adapt policies and benefits; and developing recruitment and retention strategies
- Represent Executive leadership on organizational working groups focused on culture and race equity transformation
- Manage HR and Operations departments and all personnel, policy, and people management processes
- Ensure managers have the support structures they need to be effective, consistent, compassionate supervisors who develop and empower their staff and integrate pro-Black management practices
- Oversee hiring, staffing, compensation, and promotion decisions
- Oversee a comprehensive process of staff evaluation and support that extends throughout an employee’s lifecycle at Bend the Arc
- Oversee revision and upgrading of Bend the Arc’s policies and benefits
- Lead the Management side of our collective bargaining process
- Coordinate the Management Team’s role in Union negotiations
- Help ensure a process and Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) aligned with our culture, values and fiscal health
- Lead the integration of the full CBA into our system(s)
- Oversee revision and implementation of Bend the Arc’s policies and benefits in compliance with our CBA
- Manage Finance department and ensure financial oversight and fiscal responsibility across Bend the Arc’s family of organizations
- Supervise Bend the Arc’s budgeting, financial management, and compliance across the C3, C4, PAC and fiscally sponsored Managed Projects
- Support Finance and Operations departments in devising, modernizing, and implementing user-friendly finance systems for all staff that are aligned with our racial equity commitments
- With Operations Manager, ensure best practices for organizational security protocols
- Supervision and Leadership
- Model a leadership stance in line with Bend the Arc’s organizational culture and commitment to being a pro-Black organization
- Oversee and provide strategic direction to the People and Operations Team and act as liaison to and from leadership to support those departments in operationalizing Bend the Arc’s strategic direction
- Supervise and support direct reports and their teams to do their best work by clearly communicating performance expectations, and actionable feedback, and foster an environment with direct reports that builds trust through reliability, authenticity, respect and open-communication.
Skills and Qualifications
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following qualities, skills and experiences:
- 7-10 years of experience in senior leadership and as a manager at a mission-driven organization or comparable volunteer or life experience
- Significant experience in senior Operations or HR roles, or other relevant experience managing the internal operations and systems of a complex organization
- Experience building and managing organizational budgets and interfacing with a Finance Team
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and vision of Bend the Arc, and specifically around anti-racism, social justice, and anti-oppression practices
- Experience building and/or ability to build a pro-Black, intentional organizational culture at a values-based organization with a high emphasis on mutual respect, accountability and investment in relationships
- Systems-thinker and builder with experience developing and evolving organizational systems, policies, and practices grounded in a commitment to racial equity practice
- An excellent manager of managers, empowering your team members, as well as managers across the organization, to do their best work and catalyzing their individual and collective growth.
- Experience supporting growth and development of direct reports through clear communication of expectations, and frequent, timely and actionable feedback.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people representing various backgrounds, levels of training, and career stages
- Ability to work with the Finance Team on financial projections and analyses of existing programs, policies, budget and financial management systems
- Ability to work closely with HR on staffing and organizational policies and procedures
- Experience working in an organization with a C3/C4 and a PAC or knowledge of the distinctions between these entities
- Experience with or knowledge of working in a Union environment in a non-profit or desire to learn
Bend the Arc is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals and will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please advise in writing of any needs at the time of application by emailing [email protected]. Must be able to operate a computer, video platforms, and other office machinery throughout working hours. Must be able to identify, discern, and communicate across different platforms (chat, email, phone and video conferencing), and collect and analyze information in databases and spreadsheets. Must occasionally travel by air and ground transportation and move about to attend conferences, events, and an annual staff retreat in accordance with organizational guidelines on travel due to COVID. Any work related travel would be paid for by Bend the Arc.
Compensation, Benefits, and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt position. The work schedule will include some evenings when needed and occasional weekends, including travel a few times a year. The annual salary range is $140,000 - $155,000 commensurate with experience, and includes a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc for individual coverage and employer contribution of 80% toward monthly premiums for dependent and family coverage;
- Long and short term disability benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- Paid time off including:
- 15 vacation days during your first three years with an increase to 20 vacation days in your fourth year
- 12 sick days per year
- 23 paid holidays each year
- Caregiving / Personal Leave of Absence policy with a Paid Leave Benefit that covers up to 12 paid weeks after 90 days on staff
- Fully paid Sabbatical of up to 12 weeks for long-term employees;
- Adoption Assistance Program providing reimbursement of up to $1,500 for qualified adoption expenses;
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account;
- Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account for eligible health related expenses
- Commuter Benefits;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Life Insurance fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- Access to professional development funding;
- Access to funding for home office equipment;
- Monthly utilities reimbursement
In addition to this benefits package, Bend the Arc has a commitment to an intentional organizational culture where staff can thrive, as well as a commitment with staff and board to be in ongoing practice and learning around racial equity and inclusion.
Bend the Arc has been working 100% remotely since the start of the COVID-19 Pandemic, and does not currently have a set date for returning to in-person work. We offer a stipend to facilitate remote work, if needed. We regularly update our policies for in-person gathering to reflect CDC guidelines and best practice.
Research suggests that women and structurally marginalized and/or underrepresented groups of people believe they need to meet 100% of the requirements in job postings to even apply. Bend the Arc encourages anyone who believes they have the skills and motivation necessary to succeed here to apply for this role, even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications, as no one applicant ever does. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] with “Chief People and Operations Officer” in the subject line of your message. Your cover letter should highlight why you are excited to help set the vision, feel, and look of what it’s like to work at Bend the Arc and why you would be a good fit for this specific role. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through Sept 11, 2023.
Due to the number of applications we typically receive, we sincerely regret that someone from our hiring team will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview. No phone calls please.
Bend the Arc values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well with diverse Jewish and progressive constituencies. Candidates should be willing to work within the Jewish community, but may be of any (or no) faith or background.
Bend the Arc provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction, or any other legally protected status. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.