Position Title: Executive Assistant to the CEO
Reports to: CEO
Location: Bend the Arc National Office, New York
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
The Executive Assistant (EA) is responsible for providing discreet and confidential overall executive level coordination and support of the CEO in all aspects of her daily activities. The EA is energetic; extremely detail-oriented; thrives in a fast-paced environment; and has excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills. The EA is also a member of the Development Team and supports the stewardship of the CEO’s donors as well as other development team activities.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage CEO’s calendar, scheduling, and confirming appointments
- Make and coordinate travel arrangements
- Receive and screen calls and visitors to the CEO’s office, and ensure follow-up with requests
- In partnership with development staff, attend departmental meetings, coordinate meetings with donors and prospects, help identify prospects from CEO’s meetings and steward the CEO’s donors, including tracking donor replies and supporting correspondence between donors and the development team
- Transcribe voice memos from donor meetings and outline next steps and follow-up
- Participate in and support other development work, including donor research, event planning and support, data entry, and other work as needed
- Work with development and other departments across organization to vet requests for speaking engagements
Support CEO’s preparation for meetings as well as all meeting follow up
- Ensure effective communication between the CEO and executive and leadership teams; manage communications with CEO’s direct reports
- Prepare CEO’s timesheets, expense reports, and reimbursements in a timely fashion
- Take, transcribe, and disseminate meeting notes
- Prioritize and manage special projects when needed by the CEO and follow through on issues in a timely manner
- Provide other assistance as needed, including research and preparing briefings
- Participate in occasional work travel with CEO
- Assist CEO in personal administrative needs and errands
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 2 years of comparable administrative support experience; experience supporting an Executive or in Development preferred
- Impeccable standards with meticulous attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to write quickly
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment and discretion
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism required
- Strong commitment to maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to manage up and influence others
- Ability to travel in or out-of-state as needed for annual staff retreats and other organization-wide or CEO specific support initiatives. Travel is anticipated to be approximately up to 5 times per year, and will likely be overnight.
- Commitment to social justice, anti-oppression practices, the mission of Bend the Arc, and working at a values-based organization with a high emphasis on mutual respect, intentional workplace culture, and a commitment to racial equity
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Hangouts, etc.), as well as comfort learning new technology and systems
Compensation and Hours: This is a full-time, non-exempt position, with work schedules including evenings and weekends. Annual salary range is $50,000 - $55,000 depending on experience, is eligible for overtime pay, and includes paid time off and health benefits.
Bend the Arc offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc for individual coverage and generous employer contribution of 80% toward monthly premiums for dependent and family coverage;
Long and short term disability benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- 401K with employer contribution of 2% after your first year;
- Paid time off including:
- 15 vacation days during your first three years with an increase to 20 vacation days in your fourth year
- 12 sick days per year
- 23 paid holidays each year
- Generous Caregiving / Personal Leave of Absence policy with a Paid Leave Benefit that covers 3 weeks of paid leave for each year of employment, up to 12 paid weeks after four years on staff
- Fully paid Sabbatical of up to 12 weeks for long-term employees;
- Adoption Assistance Program providing reimbursement of up to $1,500 for qualified adoption expenses;
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account;
- Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account for eligible health related expenses
- Commuter Benefits;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Life Insurance fully paid for by Bend the Arc
- And more!
In addition to this benefits package, Bend the Arc has a commitment to a thriving and intentional organizational culture, as well as a commitment with staff and board to be in ongoing practice and learning around racial equity and inclusion.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please. We sincerely regret that we will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well with diverse Jewish and progressive constituencies. Candidates should be willing to work within the Jewish community, but may be of any (or no) faith or background.
Bend the Arc provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Women, people of color, differently abled people, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.