Position Title: Interim Chief Strategy Officer (CSO)
Reports to: CEO
Location: Anywhere in the United States
Classification: Temporary, part-time exempt through Sept 30, 2021
Bend the Arc is a movement of over 125,000 progressive Jews across America who are working together to achieve our vision: to transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. We are the only national Jewish organization focused exclusively on social change in the U.S.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and the Bay Area, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
Bend the Arc is seeking a strategic leader and experienced executive level manager to support the Bend the Arc teams responsible for advocacy, campaigning, and strategic communications. The Interim Chief Strategy Officer will lead a talented multi-city team who are moving a national political agenda and amplifying a narrative that represents a community of hundreds of thousands of American Jews about how we can leverage the opportunity of this political moment and achieve our long-term vision. The ideal candidate will combine sophisticated political judgment, a collaborative managerial style, and a commitment to movement-building grounded in racial equity and justice.
The Interim CSO is responsible for overseeing Bend the Arc’s advocacy (federal and state-based), communications (including digital campaigning and public voice work), political strategy work and campaigning and supporting their teams in developing and executing strategies that effectively utilize the political process and our platforms to reach our goals. The ideal candidate believes that the Jewish community has a critical role to play in the progressive movement in America, and excels at building relationships within a multiracial movement context, and with organizational allies both outside and within the Jewish community. This is an interim role that will end or be assessed at the conclusion of our strategic planning process. The Interim CSO is an executive leader in the organization, reporting to the CEO.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Serve on a four-person Executive Team that collectively leads and oversees organizational strategy, vision, and day-to-day executive management
- Oversee advocacy and communications staff through supervision of the Washington Director, Communications Director, Senior Strategy Officer and Campaign Manager; foster an environment of creativity, curiosity, and decisiveness
- Manage interdepartmental processes with collaboration and transparency; incorporate the voices of stakeholders at many levels
- Work closely with the Chief Program Officer to enable interdependent cross-organizational teams and campaign work between the field, communications and advocacy teams
- Help the team balance long-term priorities with rapid response opportunities
- Ensure that Bend the Arc’s racial equity screen is being utilized in all significant decisions that fall within the Interim CSO’s teams and purview
- Oversee special projects as needed that advance significant organizational strategies
- As needed, work with movement partners to collaborate on shared campaigns that elevate our movement and achieve our long-term vision.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate the following qualities, skills and experiences:
- 10 or more years of relevant experience including 5 years of senior management experience
- Significant experience working in one or more of the following areas:
- Policy and/or issue advocacy campaigns
- Public voice
- Digital campaigning
- An excellent manager of managers, empowering your team members to do their best work and catalyzing their individual and collective growth.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity, inclusion, and anti-oppression practices, and experience building relationships with and taking leadership from people of color in a multiracial organizing context
- Highly collaborative leadership style with a commitment to being both process- and results- driven, recognizing that both are necessary for success.
- High level of emotional intelligence and commitment to learn and operate within the norms and organizational culture of Bend the Arc.
- Effective decision-maker who can make tough judgement calls when there isn’t agreement among staff, make decisions when needed within a fast-paced environment, and effectively communicate with and lead their team through these decisions.
- Experience working in an organization with a C3/C4 and a PAC or knowledge of the distinctions between these entities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong commitment to and passion for the mission and values of Bend the Arc, including a passion for social justice and for communicating about and with Jewish values.
- Familiarity with common digital, social media and organizing platforms, including but not limited to Google Suite, Slack, NationBuilder, NGP VAN, and Relay
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is designed as a part-time management role at approximately .6 FTE or 3-days/week, with work schedules that may include occasional evenings and Sundays. Annual salary range is $75K to $81K for .6 FTE (based on $125k - $135k for 1 FTE) depending on experience. Part-time positions offer paid time off including sick and vacation time, as well as paid holidays (Bend the Arc observes 23 paid holidays each year).
In addition to these paid time off benefits, Bend the Arc has a commitment to a thriving and intentional organizational culture, as well as a commitment with staff and board to be in ongoing practice and learning around racial equity and inclusion.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Interim Chief Strategy Officer” in the subject line of your message by Monday January 11th. We sincerely regret that we will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well with diverse Jewish and progressive constituencies. Candidates should be willing to work within the Jewish community, but may be of any (or no) faith or background. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.