Position Title: Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager (Temporary position through 11/15/2020)
Reports to: Jeremiah Fellowship National Director
Location: Anywhere in continental U.S. May be remote.
Work Schedule: Full-time, including evening and weekend work
Start Date: As soon as possible. Position is temporary through November 15, 2020
About Bend the Arc:
Bend the Arc is a movement of over 125,000 progressive Jews across America who are working
together to achieve our vision: to transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and
supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. We are the only
national Jewish organization focused exclusively on social change in the U.S.
For years, we’ve worked to build a more just society. Now we’re fighting for the soul of our
nation and rising up in solidarity with everyone threatened by the Trump Administration’s attacks
on immigrants, Muslims, people of color, our communities, and our democracy.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, our
501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc: Jewish Action PAC, a political action
committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and
Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm.
Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San
Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
About the Position:
The Jeremiah Fellowship, a part- time six month leadership development program, plays a key role in building Bend the Arc’s base of skilled and informed leaders. The Jeremiah Fellowship offers young adult Jews committed to social justice the opportunity to lead organizing work in their city; explore how Jewish values, culture and community can support and further their goals; and teaches them critical leadership skills while taking part in Bend the Arc’s social, economic, and racial justice campaigns and advocacy.
The Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager will be responsible for leading one cohort of fellows, who will be drawn from cities across the country. This position will be part of a four-person team: two Program Managers and two Organizers, working to organize and support a cohort of 80 fellows.
The Program Manager leads skill-building workshops, facilitates group meetings,, and provides leadership development, guidance and mentorship. The Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager works in collaboration with field staff to ensure integration into campaigns and overall alignment with Bend the Arc priorities. The Jeremiah Fellowship Program Manager designs, leads, coordinates, and facilitates both an opening and closing retreat each program year. The Program Manager is also responsible for supporting the local organizing work of fellows in 2-4 cities from their cohort.
- Coordinate, lead, and facilitate programming for the Jeremiah Fellowship’s national cohorts to create group cohesion, connection to mission, mutual accountability, and organizing and leadership skills
- Serve as community organizer, coaching the local organizing work of fellows, in 2-4 cities
- Together with Program Recruiter, support recruitment of strong candidates, and manage interviews and selection of fellows
- Responsible for program management, scheduling, facilitating monthly online training sessions, and other logistics
- Together with program team, plan and coordinate two weekend retreats per program year
- Under direction of Jeremiah Fellowship National Director, monitor program budget
- Contribute to curriculum development, in collaboration with other key staff members, informed by fellows and alumni, and lead portions of the curriculum
- Support fellows through regular one-on-one meetings and support fellow-driven community building both in fellows’ home city, and within the national cohort
- Assist fellows with setting realistic, attainable goals and work with fellows to ensure they maintain their commitments throughout the duration of the program
- Support Jeremiah alumni to maintain their involvement with Bend the Arc through meetings, events, and opportunities for action with Bend the Arc
- Under direction of Development Department, engage in discrete tasks to support fundraising efforts
- Execute other administrative responsibilities
- Work with the Field Team/organizers to support externally facing campaigns, and ensure strong integration between the program and Bend the Arc’s work
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong commitment to and passion for the organizational mission At least 2-3 years of work experience in leadership development or a related field with proven results in training, leading, and developing groups and individuals
- At least 2 years of experience in organizing; remote organizing experience strongly preferred; experience organizing Jewish people preferred
- Demonstrated effectiveness in facilitating, leading and inspiring groups
- Project management skills
- Experience in recruitment and selection processes
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and inclusion, including commitment to anti-oppression practices
- Ability to motivate, mentor and be an effective team leader and team player
- Experience cultivating relationships in various Jewish and/or progressive communities
- Must be a dynamic, organized and creative self-starter with a passion for Jewish social justice work and working with young adults.
- Ability to travel both in and out of state, and work some evenings and Sundays. Travel will be in and out-of-state as needed.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Hangouts, etc.), as well as comfort learning new technology and systems.
- For applicants considered for remote work, must have previous professional experience working remotely
Strongly Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Jewish knowledge and experience applying it in a social justice setting
- Knowledge of and experience using effective methods of evaluation
- Experience with online/remote teaching and coaching
- Experience with alumni engagement
Compensation, Benefits and Work Schedule: This is a full-time, temporary position through November 15, 2020, with work schedules including evenings and weekends. Annual salary range is $50,000-$55,000 DOE.
Bend the Arc offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc for individual coverage, and generous employer contribution toward monthly premiums for dependent and family coverage;
- Long and short term disability benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- 401K with employer contribution after your first year;
- Paid time off for vacation, sick leave, holidays (up to 23 paid holidays in a year), Caregiving / Personal Leave of Absence, and Comp time;
- Adoption Assistance Program providing reimbursement of up to $1,500 for qualified adoption expenses;
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account;
- Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account for eligible health related expenses
- Commuter Benefits;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Life Insurance fully paid for by Bend the Arc
Please submit your resume and cover letter stating why you want to join the staff at Bend the Arc and in this particular role to firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the position you are applying for should be the subject line of your message. Only those applications submitted with a cover letter will be reviewed by our hiring team.
Due to the number of applications we receive, we sincerely regret that someone from our hiring team will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview. No phone calls please.
Bend the Arc values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well with diverse Jewish and progressive constituencies. Candidates should be willing to work within the Jewish community, but may be of any (or no) faith or background. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.