Bend the Arc is looking to hire two specialized temporary positions with skills in social media and digital content creation, creative and effective actions that get media attention, political analysis, and crafting winning messages.
Rapid Response Strategist – Bend the Arc
About Bend the Arc:
Bend the Arc is a movement of over 125,000 progressive Jews across America who are working together to achieve our vision: to transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. We are the only national Jewish organization focused exclusively on social change in the U.S.
For years, we’ve worked to build a more just society. Now we’re fighting for the soul of our nation and rising up in solidarity with everyone threatened by the Trump’s attacks on immigrants, Muslims, people of color, our communities, and our democracy.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc: Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and Oakland, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
We are currently seeking a Rapid Response Strategist to join the staff of our newly-expanded rapid response team for 2020. This position will be focused on monitoring the Jewish community, media, and right-wing opposition for key moments to exploit or amplify; determining rapid response strategy, including messaging and actions online and on-the-ground; and engaging partners in our efforts. You’ll be part of a team setting out to impact the narrative about Jews and the election, respond to the weaponization of antisemitism, and push white nationalism out of the mainstream. While these positions are being created to enable ongoing rapid response, the team will work closely and in an integrated way with Bend the Arc’s Communications and Campaign teams to ensure coordination between the various streams of work.
Office locations: NY, DC, LA, Oakland, or remote
Reports to: Director of Communications
Full-time, temporary position beginning immediately and through January 31, 2021
Annual salary: $60k-$75k depending upon experience
- Monitor issues and opponents;
- Identify, expose and fight bad actors and enablers of white nationalism in real-time through creative rapid response;
- Connect rapid response actions to our long-term narrative-change goals;
- Provide allies, progressive and Jewish organizations, Members of Congress, and candidates (where appropriate) with messaging support, talking points, and analysis;
- Work collaboratively with other communications staff to support the crafting of content, messaging, talking points, and digital actions that will move our base, persuade the middle, and potentially influence voters.
- Experience leading and winning digital campaigns;
- Experience in political advocacy, electoral, or issue campaigns;
- Demonstrated success in mobilizing constituencies online or on-the-ground;
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; high level of attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines with a commitment to maintaining quality;
- Creativity, flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment to capitalize on unanticipated opportunities;
- Commitment to social justice, anti-oppression practices, and to the mission of Bend the Arc; working at a values-based organization with a high emphasis on mutual respect, intentional workplace culture and a commitment to racial equity;
- For applicants considered for remote work, must have previous professional experience working remotely
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Hangouts, etc.), as well as comfort learning new technology and systems
- Bonus: experience with/knowledge of fighting disinformation campaigns;
- Bonus: experience with/knowledge of Jewish or progressive landscapes;
- Bonus: experience with networks of digital campaigners and electoral staff.
Additional traits and attributes:
- On top of project management and deadlines, ability to work independently and detail-oriented
- Quick and strategic decision maker
- Flexibility with work schedules to meet the needs of rapid response moments
- Team player who maintains a spirit of collegiality in the face of rapid response moments and a sense of humor is always valued in campaign environments
- Passion for the issues and our progressive mission, and defeating Trump
- Management experience – if you have it, it’s a plus we can put to work*
*For candidates with management experience leading similar teams, consideration may be made for a team management role, in addition to other responsibilities.
Compensation and Schedule:
This is a full-time, temporary position beginning immediately and through January 31, 2021, with the need for occasional evening or weekend hours. The annual salary is competitive and within a range of $60,000-$75,000 depending upon experience.
Bend the Arc proudly offers a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc for individual coverage and generous employer contribution of 80% toward monthly premiums for dependent and family coverage;
- Long and short term disability benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- 401K with employer contribution of 2% after your first year;
Paid time off including:
- 15 vacation days during your first three years with an increase to 20 vacation days in your fourth year
- 12 sick days per year
- 23 paid holidays each year
- Generous Caregiving / Personal Leave of Absence policy with a Paid Leave Benefit that covers 3 weeks of paid leave for each year of employment, up to 12 paid weeks after four years on staff
- Fully paid Sabbatical of up to 12 weeks for long-term employees;
- Adoption Assistance Program providing reimbursement of up to $1,500 for qualified adoption expenses;
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account;
- Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account for eligible health related expenses
- Commuter Benefits;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Life Insurance fully paid for by Bend the Arc
- And more!
In addition to this benefits package, Bend the Arc has a commitment to a thriving and intentional organizational culture, as well as a commitment with staff and board to be in ongoing practice and learning around racial equity and inclusion.
Bend the Arc has partnered with Democracy Partners for this search. Please email your resume, cover letter, a writing sample and at least three professional references to Jobs@DemocracyPartners.com with Rapid Response Strategist in the subject line. References are not contacted until you are notified.
Your cover letter should share why you want to work at Bend the Arc, and the relevant experience you bring to this particular position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please note that interviews will begin when a critical mass of applications are received, so we recommend submitting your application as soon as possible. No phone calls please. We sincerely regret that we will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well with diverse Jewish and progressive constituencies. Candidates should be willing to work within the Jewish community, but may be of any (or no) faith or background. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.