Position Title: Development Officer
Reports to: Director of Development
Location: Bend the Arc National Office, New York, NY
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Start Date: Immediately
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate the power of the Jewish community to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of:
- Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm
- Bend the Arc: Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values
- Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm.
Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and Oakland, with a network of staffed chapters, volunteer-led local groups, and affiliates organizing nationwide.
Department and Position Overview:
The Development department is responsible for revenue generation for Bend the Arc’s family of organizations. The Development Officer is a critical member of the Development team and is responsible for stewarding regionally based donors and prospects of $1,000 plus (east of the Mississippi). The ideal candidate will be a proactive frontline fundraiser, and an enthusiastic and persuasive advocate of Bend the Arc’s mission and leadership programs.
The Development Officer works closely with a New York-based team, including the Director of Development, CEO, the CEO’s Executive Assistant, the Director of the PAC, the Deputy Director of Development, and the Associate Development Officer to create, implement, and oversee a comprehensive stewardship program for those donors, including annual revenue projections and multiple opportunities for engagement.
- Create and implement a city based stewardship program and solicitation strategies for a portfolio of individual donors and prospects giving $1,000 plus
- Partner with the CEO, Director of the PAC, and other members of the senior leadership team to provide stewardship of and strategies for donors they solicit
- Monitor and track revenue for all assigned donors
- Gain fluency on Bend the Arc’s work and stay up to date on organizational activities
- Maintain and update donor files in Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Brief solicitors prior to and following meetings and events
- Conduct donor research, prepare donor packets for meetings, and gather and maintain relevant and timely donor collateral materials
- Work with the CEO’s Executive Assistant to schedule meetings, travel, and draft personalized updates and other correspondence to donors and prospects
- Increase retention rates and maximize support from current donors by creating and implementing donor engagement plans for donors and prospects including individual meetings, events, donor briefing calls, and other opportunities to “see the work”
- Plan and own logistics of creating engaging donor and prospect events (for all entities of the organization, including the PAC)
- Identify, prioritize, and cultivate potential new individual major donors
- Establish benchmarks for progress and success in partnership with the Director of Development, and monitor results against revenue goals
- Travel to other cities to meet with donors, support the CEO’s travel, and run donor events
- Provide support to the Development team on any programs or special events
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising or a related field
- Strong commitment to and passion for the mission of Bend the Arc
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity, inclusion, and anti-oppression practices, and ability to bring this orientation into all areas of the work, internally and externally
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experienced storyteller
- Strong interpersonal skills and relationship management experience
- Ability to initiate and manage multiple complex projects and work effectively in a results-oriented team environment and meet established deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Experience cultivating donors and moving them up a ladder of engagement
- Experience fundraising in an organization with a 501(c)3, 501(c)4, and political action committee (PAC), or knowledge of the distinctions between these entities strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Google platforms and ability to learn new systems
- Experience working with development databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge
- Ability to work evenings or on weekends based on need
Compensation and Work Schedule:
This is a full-time, exempt position, with occasional evening and weekend work based on need. The annual salary range is $70,000 - $78,000 commensurate with experience.
Bend the Arc offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc for individual coverage and generous employer contribution of 80% toward monthly premiums for dependent and family coverage;
- Long and short term disability benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- 401K with employer contribution of 2% after your first year;
Paid time off including:
- 15 vacation days during your first three years with an increase to 20 vacation days in your fourth year
- 12 sick days per year
- 23 paid holidays each year
- Generous Caregiving / Personal Leave of Absence policy with a Paid Leave Benefit that covers 3 weeks of paid leave for each year of employment, up to 12 paid weeks after four years on staff
- Fully paid Sabbatical of up to 12 weeks for long-term employees;
- Adoption Assistance Program providing reimbursement of up to $1,500 for qualified adoption expenses;
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account;
- Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account for eligible health related expenses
- Commuter Benefits;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Life Insurance fully paid for by Bend the Arc
- And more!
In addition to this benefits package, Bend the Arc has a commitment to a thriving and intentional organizational culture, as well as a commitment with staff and board to be in ongoing practice and learning around racial equity and inclusion.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Development Officer - NYC” in the subject line of your message. Your cover letter should highlight why you want to join the staff at Bend the Arc and in this particular role. Please combine resume and cover letter in one document. Only those applications submitted with a cover letter will be reviewed by our hiring team.
Due to the number of applications we receive, we sincerely regret that someone from our hiring team will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview. No phone calls please.
Bend the Arc values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well with diverse Jewish and progressive constituencies. Candidates should be willing to work within the Jewish community, but may be of any (or no) faith or background.
We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction, or any other legally protected status. Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQIA individuals.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.