Job Opening: Digital Organizer
Start Date: Immediately
Location: New York City, Washington, D.C., or Oakland, CA preferred. Qualified candidates who live elsewhere in the U.S. and would like to work remotely will be considered.
Bend the Arc is a movement of tens of thousands of progressive Jews across America who are working together to achieve our vision: to transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. We are the only national Jewish organization focused exclusively on social change in the U.S.
For years, we’ve worked to build a more just society. Now we’re fighting for the soul of our nation and rising up in solidarity with everyone threatened by the Trump’s attacks on immigrants, Muslims, people of color, our communities, and our democracy.
Bend the Arc is using digital tools to strengthen and amplify Jewish resistance at the local, state, and national levels to the Trump administration’s growing authoritarianism and cruelty to immigrants, Muslims, people of color, and other vulnerable communities. Our two year strategy to fight and win in the Trump era includes three tactics: rapid-response campaigns to stand with communities under attack, issue advocacy to win local progressive victories, and winning power in the 2018 elections.
Bend the Arc is seeking a Digital Organizer to support these three tactics, helping us grow and mobilize our online base of progressive Jews across the country. The Digital Organizer will also help build out our distributed campaign capacity by teaching our volunteer leaders how to use our distributed campaign tools more effectively.
The Digital Organizer will report to the Digital Organizing Manager, and will work collaboratively across Bend the Arc’s impact team (including Communications, Field, and DC staff).
Are you an experienced digital campaigner who wants to use persuasive calls to action, gripping storytelling, and first-rate tactics to help us win? Are you passionate about ladders of engagement, online-to-offline activism, and empowering volunteers? And are you a great writer and project manager who values collaboration and building relationships? If so, read on!
Here's what you'd do in this job:
- Run high impact and creative digital campaigns from soup to nuts (e.g. seeing news break and formulating a response, drafting the action alert and website copy, building the emails and the landing pages, checking analytics, coming up with next steps, partnering with allied organizations, etc. )
- Provide support and training for volunteers using our distributed digital organizing tools to grow local lists and run effective rapid response actions.
- Identify opportunities to engage Bend the Arc’s supporters by monitoring news and developments on our priority issue areas.
- Collaborate with Communications, Field, DC, and Development staff to coordinate campaign goals, develop campaign concepts, and produce content.
- Use analytics to optimize online campaigns and content for bigger impact.
- Create resources for locals and affiliate organizations to amplify national campaigns as needed.
- Build relationships and strengthen partnerships with ally organizations, affiliates, and community members to support priorities.
- Work with vendors, consultants and contractors as needed.
You could be great for this job if you have:
- A minimum of two years' experience in online campaigning or related fields.
- Experience developing digital strategy and content for issue-based, advocacy, or political campaigns; familiarity with a range of online campaigning tools and tactics.
- Excellent writing skills with experience in creative, compelling prose that can move people to take action; with good attention to detail.
- Knowledge of trends of digital organizing, and of best practices for communicating via email, Facebook and Twitter.
Proficiency using digital systems to manage content (CMS) and relationships (CRM), with a preference for experience with NationBuilder.
- Knowledge of basic HTML and ability to resize images.
- Creativity, flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to social justice, to the values and goals of Bend the Arc, and to working at a values-based organization with a high emphasis on mutual respect and intentional workplace culture.
Although not required, a strong candidate may have some of the following:
- Project management experience and the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Familiarity with Nationbuilder.
- Experience with online fundraising.
- Experience managing social media content for organizations and storytelling on social media platforms.
- Experience with distributed organizing tools.
- Experience managing volunteers.
- A record of building effective partnerships or coalitions with advocacy and/or activist groups.
- An understanding of the policy and political landscape around immigration and criminal justice reform (particularly bail).
- Active involvement in social movements that work to support immigrant rights, racial justice, economic justice and/or protecting our democracy.
Compensation and Hours:
This is a full-time position, with occasional evening or weekend work schedules based on need. The annual salary range is $50,000-$60,000 DOE, and includes paid time off and health benefits.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Digital Organizer — Your Name” in the subject line of your message. Your cover letter should share why you want to work at Bend the Arc, as well as an example of an impact you’ve made online.
The deadline to apply is July 31 or until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
No phone calls please. We sincerely regret that we will not be able respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well with diverse Jewish and progressive constituencies. Candidates should be willing to work within the Jewish community, but may be of any (or no) faith or background. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.