Position Title: Electoral Campaign Manager
Reports to: Chief Strategy Officer
Location: NY, DC, SF, or LA
Hours: Full-time through Nov 30 2018
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
For years, we’ve worked to build a more just society. Now we’re rising up in solidarity with everyone threatened by the Trump agenda to fight for the soul of our nation. Together we stand with communities under attack, win strategic state and local legislative victories that offer an alternative to the Trump's destructive agenda, hold Trump’s enablers in Congress accountable, and register, educate, and mobilize voters.
We are seeking a Electoral Campaign Manager to oversee our 2018 electoral program. We have identified 12 House districts that are among the most competitive in the the country, and where there is a critical mass of Jews to volunteer for voter engagement work. In these target districts, the vote differential between the winning and losing candidates in 2016 was a total of 357,380 votes. These are races in which we can have a meaningful impact. We are already active in 9 of these 12 districts, and are targeting three additional districts where we hope to build a Bend the Arc base leading up to and after the election. Our goal for the 2018 midterm elections is to attempt at least 100,000 voter contacts across these 12 districts through a combination of door-knocking and phone-banking.
The Electoral Campaign Manager will be an integral member of the Bend the Arc team and will work hand in hand with the Chief Strategy Officer, National Field Director, Communications Director, Washington Director, and Development Director to connect electoral politics, grassroots organizing, digital campaigning, and fundraising. The Electoral Campaign Manager will work with team members, grassroots leaders and allied organizations to lead the implementation and evaluation of Bend the Arc’s electoral campaign strategy, which will include traditional organizing, a developing online-to-offline organizing model, and a robust digital communications campaign. They will manage Bend the Arc’s work to win elections by working with organizing, communications and advocacy staff to determine roles, responsibilities, and workplans to deliver on our goals. They will report to the Chief Strategy Officer and/or the CEO.
- Implement a multi-faceted plan to utilize Bend the Arc’s greatest asset – our volunteers – to lead grassroots, relational direct voter contact electoral campaigns
- Work with our Field Director to ensure that our organizing staff and their volunteer leaders meet their deliverables for voter contacts by engaging and mobilizing a large grassroots volunteer base.
- Work with our Communications Director to create messaging for our electoral program that centers our core values and advances our goals
- Work with our Senior Digital Organizer to implement a digital strategy that recruits new people to our organization and helps mobilize people to take field actions.
- Track all data in appropriate databases and reporting forms and share regular updates with Bend the Arc staff and volunteers
- Complete timely reports of all pertinent activities for funders, partner organizations, the press, general public, etc.
- Complete a full evaluation of Bend the Arc’s electoral work after the election
- Collaborate with Bend the Arc’s Finance and Operations team to track political expenditures, grant deliverables, and relevant program expenses
- Represent Bend the Arc in political coalitions and other arenas of political power, including the America Votes table, the Fight Back table, and other coalitions as needed
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years experience and demonstrated success in a leadership position in an electoral campaign;
- Deep knowledge and experience with managing voter contact and field campaigns;
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Bend the Arc;
- Understanding of online to offline organizing strategies and organizing to scale;
- Proven ability to build partnerships and relationships of trust internally and externally;
- Openness to giving and receiving feedback for continuous learning, evolution, and improvement;
- Commitment to anti-oppression practices and experience centering the leadership of People of Color in a multi-racial organizing context;
- Demonstrated success at keeping multiple projects organized; good work planning skills; strong administrative and time-management skills;
- Experience using NationBuilder or other CRM and CMS programs;
- Experience using NPG VAN;
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends.
Compensation and Hours:
This is a temporary full-time position beginning immediately and ending November 30, 2018, with the need for occasional evening or weekend hours. Salary is competitive and appropriate to experience, and includes health and paid time off benefits.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bend the Arc Campaign Manager” in the subject line of your message. We sincerely regret that we will not be able respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Bend the Arc encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.