FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, January 12
Contact: Logan Smith
Bend the Arc research highlights lawmakers’ incitement of violent insurrection
Over 6,500 people have signed Bend the Arc’s petition calling for Trump’s impeachment and the investigation of lawmakers who incited or helped organized last week’s violence
WASHINGTON – Bend the Arc: Jewish Action released more information on Tuesday about the lawmakers who helped incite last week’s violence at the U.S. Capitol after a mob of Trump supporters stormed their way into the Capitol brandishing guns, MAGA hats, Nazi symbols, and Confederate flags.
The research compiled on Bend the Arc’s How To Fight Antisemitism project details how several GOP lawmakers spoke at, helped organize, or promoted the rally that helped spark the violent attacks, and intentionally organized to undermine the election results and our democracy in the weeks leading up to the attack. Topics include:
- Support from Congressional representatives including Paul Gosar (R-AZ) – who helped organize the event – and Pete Sessions (R-TX)
- Incitement of violence by representatives including Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) and Mo Brooks (R-AL), as well as President Trump and Donald Trump Jr.
- Republican state legislators in the crowd from states including West Virginia, Tennessee, Nevada, Arizona, Virginia, Alaska, and Missouri
- The GOP’s continued efforts to overturn and undermine the results of the 2020 presidential election through disinformation and coordination with far-right militant groups.
- The attackers’ collaboration with law enforcement and military
- Organizers of the “March to Save America” that preceded the attack on the Capitol
HowToFightAntisemitism.com is a resource from Bend the Arc: Jewish Action and our partners Jews Against White Nationalism to track the spread of antisemitism and conspiracies from far-right extremists who have taken over the GOP. The site will continue to track antisemitism with new incidents added as they occur.
So far over 6,500 people have signed Bend the Arc: Jewish Action’s petition released last week calling for Trump’s impeachment and the investigation and possible expulsion of the lawmakers who helped organize and incite the violent attacks.
For more information, or to speak with Bend the Arc experts and national Jewish community leaders, contact Logan Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bend the Arc: Jewish Action is uniting a movement of tens of thousands of progressive Jews across the country who are fighting for justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused exclusively on social change in the United States.